BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


Bowie State University evolved from the first school opened in Baltimore by the Baltimore Association for the Moral and Educational Improvement of Colored People in 1865. The school reorganized in 1893 as the Baltimore Normal School for the training of teachers. In 1908, the General Assembly designated it as Normal School no. 3, a State institution (Chapter 599, Acts of 1908). After relocation to Prince George's County, the School by 1914 was known as the Maryland Normal and Industrial School at Bowie. It was renamed the Maryland Teachers College at Bowie in 1935 and Bowie State College in 1963 (Chapter 41, Acts of 1963). On July 1, 1988, the College became Bowie State University (Chapter 293, Acts of 1988). In 1988, the University also joined the University of Maryland System, now the University System of Maryland (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988).

Today, Bowie State University is the regional comprehensive university serving central Maryland. The University offers masters' degrees in eleven fields, from organizational communications and human resource development to computer science and management information systems. It also provides an honors program, Army ROTC, and athletics, fielding teams in eight intercollegiate sports in the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association and the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The University's interdisciplinary College of Excellence strengthens the freshman and sophomore experience, preparing students for later graduate and professional study. Bowie State University also is the nation's first historically African-American institution to offer graduate programs in Europe.

Within the University are the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Continuing Education and Graduate Studies, and the School of Education and Professional Studies.

SCHOOL OF ARTS & SCIENCES

The School of Arts and Sciences includes six departments: Communications; Computer Science; English and Modern Languages; Fine and Performing Arts; History and Government; and Natural Sciences and Mathematics.

SCHOOL OF CONTINUING EDUCATION & GRADUATE STUDIES

The School of Continuing Education and Graduate Studies was formerly the School of Continuing Education and Extended Studies. It adopted its present name in July 2000.

The School offers courses in the evenings and on weekends. Classes also are held at off-campus sites such as Andrews Air Force Base Center (Camp Springs); Fort George G. Meade Center (Odenton); Southern Maryland Higher Education Center (California); University System of Maryland Shady Grove Center (Rockville); Montgomery College (Rockville); and Garrett Community College (McHenry).

SCHOOL OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES

Origins of the School of Education and Professional Studies parallel the origins of Bowie State University when by 1893 it had organized as the Baltimore Normal School for the training of teachers. Presently, the School has four departments: Behavioral Sciences and Human Services; Business, Economics, and Public Administration; Education and Physical Education; and Nursing.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2001

April 1, 2001   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright April 10, 2001 Maryland State Archives