SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The origin of Salisbury State University dates from 1922 when the General Assembly established a commission to choose an Eastern Shore locale for a two-year teachers college. A site was selected and the institution opened as the State Normal School at Salisbury in September 1925 (Chapter 280, Acts of 1924). The School was renamed the State Teachers College at Salisbury in 1935, and Salisbury State College in 1963 (Chapter 41, Acts of 1963). It became Salisbury State University in 1988 (Chapter 366, Acts of 1988). That same year, the University became part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). In 1997, the System was renamed the University System of Maryland (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Nationally accredited, Salisbury State University is a four-year liberal arts university. It offers 30 undergraduate and 8 graduate degree programs. University courses include four-year undergraduate programs in liberal arts and sciences; and in the professional fields of business administration, education, medical technology, nursing, respiratory therapy, and social work. In addition, the University's graduate division offers master's degree programs in business administration, education, English, nursing, and psychology.

FULTON SCHOOL OF LIBERAL ARTS

The Charles R. and Martha N. Fulton School of Liberal Arts was endowed and named in 1990. It is the largest school within the University.

HENSON SCHOOL OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY

The Richard A. Henson School of Science and Technology offers fields of study in biological sciences, chemistry, geography and geosciences, health sciences, mathematics and computer science, nursing, and physics.

PERDUE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

The Franklin P. Perdue School of Business was established in 1986.

SEIDEL SCHOOL OF EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES

Origins of the Samuel W. and Martha C. Seidel School of Education and Professional Studies trace to 1925 when the State Normal School at Salisbury opened as a two-year college for elementary school teachers. Renamed the State Teachers College at Salisbury in 1935, it became Salisbury State College in 1963 at which time education was one of what would become several departments in the College.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2001

April 1, 2001   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright April 10, 2001 Maryland State Archives