UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The University of Baltimore was founded in 1925 as a private coeducational institution. To serve working adults, the University initially offered evening programs and in 1927 added day courses as well.

By 1970, Eastern College and the Mt. Vernon School of Law merged with the University of Baltimore, and in 1973 the former Baltimore College of Commerce affiliated with it. The University joined the Maryland State system of higher education in 1975. At that time, it was designated an upper-division (junior-senior level) and graduate university. In 1988, the University of Baltimore became part of the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System was renamed University System of Maryland in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

Career-oriented students are drawn to the University of Baltimore. Half are undergraduates and half are graduate students. More than 80 percent work full- or part-time. University services and programs are designed to support working students with a strong cooperative education program for undergraduates, convenient student service hours, and flexible scheduling of classes and programs.

University of Baltimore programs are administered through the Gordon College of Liberal Arts, the Merrick School of Business, and the School of Law. The University houses the Schaefer Center for Public Policy, the Hoffberger Center for Professional Ethics, the International and Comparative Law Center, and the Jacob France Center. The University is accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration, and the American Bar Association, among others. It holds membership in the Association of American Law Schools.

HOFFBERGER CENTER FOR PROFESSIONAL ETHICS
The Hoffberger Center for Professional Ethics is part of the University of Baltimore.

GORDON COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS

1420 North Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 5779

The Yale Gordon College of Liberal Arts originated in 1937 as a junior college, became a four-year institution in 1961, and began to offer graduate programs in 1974. The College was named for Yale Gordon, an alumnus and businessman, in 1982.

Within the College are the School of Communications Design, the School of Public Affairs, and three divisions: Applied Psychology and Quantitative Methods; Criminology, Criminal Justice, and Social Policy; and Legal, Ethical and Historical Studies.

SCHAEFER CENTER FOR PUBLIC POLICY
Named for William Donald Schaefer, Maryland governor and comptroller, the Schaefer Center for Public Policy is part of the Gordon College of Liberal Arts.

MERRICK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS

1420 North Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201 - 5779

The Merrick School of Business was named after Robert G. Merrick, Sr. (1895-1986), former president of the Equitable Bank.

FRANCE CENTER
Within the Merrick School of Business, the Jacob France Center was established in 1989. The Center was named for Jacob France (1882-1962), a founding director of the Equitable Trust Company who chaired its board from 1929 to 1962.

SCHOOL OF LAW

1415 Maryland Ave.
Baltimore, MD 21201

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2001

April 1, 2001   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright April 10, 2001 Maryland State Archives