UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


The Eastern Shore campus of the University System of Maryland had diverse affiliations and several names before becoming the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) at Princess Anne in 1970. The institution was founded in 1886 as the Delaware Conference Academy for Negroes, under the general control of Centenary Bible Institute in Baltimore. By the Morrill Act of 1890, the Academy received federal funds and was renamed the Princess Anne Academy. This funding created a relationship with the then Maryland Agricultural College, although the campus continued to be a part of Morgan College. College level work began at Princess Anne in 1927. The State authorized purchase of the Academy in 1935 (Chapter 548, Acts of 1935) and, in 1936, Princess Anne Academy became part of the University of Maryland, bearing the name of Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970. In 1970, the College was renamed University of Maryland Eastern Shore and, in 1988, it joined the University of Maryland System (Chapter 246, Acts of 1988). The System was renamed University System of Maryland in 1997 (Chapter 114, Acts of 1997).

The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is the research doctoral-granting institution on the Eastern Shore and, since 1890, it has been the land-grant campus of the State. Instruction, research, and service are provided through major academic clusters. These clusters include liberal arts and sciences, agriculture, business, engineering and technology, education, marine and environmental sciences, allied health, hospitality, and special academic services. Degrees are offered in thirty-two bachelor, seven masters, and two doctoral programs. Some distinctive bachelor degree programs are Agribusiness, Airway Science, Construction Management, Criminal Justice, Engineering Technology, Environmental Science, Hotel and Restaurant Management, and Rehabilitation Services. Master degrees are offered in Agriculture and Extension Education, Applied Computer Science, Food and Agricultural Sciences, Guidance and Counseling, Physical Therapy, and Special Education. Doctoral and master degrees are granted in Marine-Estuarine-Environmental Sciences, and Toxicology.

Basic and applied research covers International and Domestic Agriculture Sciences, Marine and Environmental Sciences, and Computer and Mathematical Sciences. Professional accreditation includes Airway Science (UAA); Dietetics (ADA); Construction Management (ACCE); Physical Therapy (CAPTE); and Teacher Education (NASDTEC). The University is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

SCHOOL OF AGRICULTURAL & NATURAL SCIENCES

The School of Agricultural and Natural Sciences includes three academic departments: Agriculture, Human Ecology, and Natural Sciences.

SCHOOL OF THE ARTS & PROFESSIONS

SCHOOL OF BUSINESS & TECHNOLOGY

Five departments make up the School of Business and Technology: Technology; Business and Economics; Math and Computer Science; Hotel and Restaurant Management; and Engineering and Aviation Science.

SCHOOL OF GRADUATE STUDIES

1137 Child Development Center
Princess Anne, MD 21853 - 1299

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2001

April 1, 2001   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright April 10, 2001 Maryland State Archives