UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND, COLLEGE PARK

Founded in 1856

C. Daniel Mote, Jr., Ph.D., President

College Park, MD 20742
(301) 405-5803
fax: (301) 314-9560
tty: (301) 314-7682
web: www.umcp.umd.edu/


Budget

Colleges

Enrollment

Historical Evolution

Organizational Chart

Organizational Structure

Origin & Functions

Reports

Schools

Tuition


ENROLLMENT (Fall 2000)
Undergraduate students: 24,638
Graduate students: 8,551
Faculty:

TUITION & MANDATED FEES (Academic Year 2000-2001)
Undergraduates (full-time):

Maryland resident: $5,136
Nonresident: $12,668


ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE

UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF MARYLAND
BOARD OF REGENTS

Nathan A. Chapman, Jr., Chair (301) 445-2701

CHANCELLOR

Donald N. Langenberg, Ph.D., Chancellor (appointed by Board of Regents) (301) 445-1901


DEFUNCT UNITS

CENTER FOR LEARNING COMPETITIVENESS
In School of Public Affairs, abolished in 1997.

CENTER FOR ROTOCRAFT EDUCATION & RESEARCH
In A. James Clark School of Engineering, renamed Alfred Gessow Center for Rotocraft Education and Research in Jan. 1997.

COLLEGE OF BUSINESS & MANAGEMENT
In March 1998, renamed Robert H. Smith School of Business.

COMPUTER-AIDED LIFE-CYCLE ENGINEERING & ELECTRONIC PACKAGING RESEARCH CENTER
In A. James Clark School of Engineering, renamed Computer-Aided Life-Cycle Engineering and Electronic Products and Systems Consortium in June 1998.

CONTINUING EDUCATION, SUMMER & SPECIAL PROGRAMS
Renamed Continuing and Extended Education in Aug. 1998.

COOPERATIVE EXTENSION SERVICE
In College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, renamed Maryland Cooperative Extension in 1998.

EDUCATION POLICY, PLANNING & ADMINISTRATION DEPT.
Under College of Education, renamed Education Policy and Leadership Department in Sept. 2000.

ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEPT.
In A. James Clark School of Engineering, renamed Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept. in March 1999.

HEALTH EDUCATION DEPT.
Under College of Health and Human Performance, renamed Public and Community Health Department in Jan. 2001.

INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPT.
In Robert H. Smith School of Business, reorganized as Decision and Information Technologies Dept. in 1998.

MANAGEMENT SCIENCE & STATISTICS DEPT.
In Robert H. Smith School of Business, abolished in 1998. Functions assumed by Decision and Information Technologies Dept.

MARYLAND CENTER FOR QUALITY & PRODUCTIVITY
Renamed University of Maryland Center for Quality and Productivity in March 1999.

MICROBIOLOGY DEPT.
In College of Life Sciences, renamed Cell Biology and Molecular Genetics Dept. in April 1998.

OFFICE OF INSTITUTIONAL STUDIES
Renamed Office of Institutional Research and Planning in July 2000.

PLANT BIOLOGY DEPT.
In College of Life Sciences, abolished in 1997.

PUBLIC SECTOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT PROGRAM
In School of Public Affairs, renamed Management, Finance and Leadership Program in Aug. 1999.

SPEECH COMMUNICATION DEPT.
In College of Arts and Humanities, renamed Communication Dept. in April 1998.

TRANSPORTATION, BUSINESS & PUBLIC POLICY DEPT.
In Robert H. Smith School of Business, renamed Logistics, Business and Public Policy Dept. in 1998.

TRANSPORTATION TECHNOLOGY CENTER
In A. James Clark School of Engineering, renamed Center for Advanced Transportation Technology in Feb. 1998.

ZOOLOGY DEPT.
In College of Life Sciences, renamed Biology Dept. in April 1998.

University System of Maryland
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line

Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us

 Maryland Manual On-Line, 2001

April 1, 2001   
Note: In this past edition of Maryland Manual, some links are to external sites.  View the current Manual


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright April 10, 2001 Maryland State Archives